January 17, 2007

Funny story about a bank

Want to hear a funny story?
Okay.
So, this guy walks into a bank south of Seattle, WA.
"Hi" he says "my name is Mike Dierken".
"Here's my social security card, bank account number and Utah driver's license." He hands over a check for $5,000 and wants to withdraw $4,000.
The bank says, "Duh, okay. Sounds good to me." and hands over $4,000 in cash.

Here's the funny part…
The next day, same guy walks into a different bank.
"Hi" he says "my name is Mike Dierken".
"Here's my social security card, bank account number and Utah driver's license." He hands over a check for $5,000 and wants to withdraw $4,000.
This time the bank teller calls the other Mike Dierken who says "What the #!**?" while hearing the teller saying "Sir, please just have a seat over there. No, don't leave…"

I'll be out of the office tomorrow morning. I have a meeting with my local Bank of America branch. I must say, the teller that called me was very smooth and professional, pretending to talk to a 'signature authority' while talking to me. She made her side of the conversation sound normal while still responding to my questions. I imagine even check fraud could be frightening to a teller, as you don't know how they will respond.

No comments: